Cost of childbirth: Billing, insurance, & paperwork

A pregnant woman with her female partner review a form with a healthcare provider.

After a baby is born, most parents are overwhlemed. Understanding how billing and paperwork are taken care of before you deliver a baby may help to alleviate feelings of stress, so you and your family can leave the center with time to focus on your new baby.

What is the estimated cost of a standard delivery?

It is difficult to estimate the costs associated with delivering a baby since every person’s experience is unique. Even when it is a “standard” delivery, the costs can vary widely from person to person. In addition, independent physicians and other specialty providers, like anesthesiologists, bill separately for their services.

We encourage you to contact Allina Health’s cost estimate line at 612-262-4930. They will provide a good faith estimate of the costs involved. The amount you would pay for a delivery also depend on whether you have health insurance, and who your insurance carrier is.

My insurance company can’t find The Mother Baby Center. Is it covered?

The Mother Baby Center is a partnership between Allina Health and Children’s Minnesota. The birth portion of your experience would be provided by Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Mercy Hospital or United Hospital, which are Allina Health hospitals. Your insurance company should find the information they need under Allina Health.

How long will it take for an itemized bill to be produced?

Typically, it takes five to seven business days after discharge for you to receive an itemized bill.

How can I get a birth certificate for my child?

Before you leave the hospital, you will fill out the paperwork to get a birth certificate. It’s mandatory to file a birth certificate with the county. If you have not talked with someone about a birth certificate, ask prior to leaving the hospital.

How do I get a social security number for my child?

When you fill out the information for a birth certificate for your child, you can select to have the baby’s Social Security card sent to your home. If you decline, you can also visit